Tuesday, July 3, 2007

What's so funny about Peace,Love and Understanding

Title of an old song, written by Nick Lowe I believe and made popular by one of Gary's favorites, Elvis Costello. Its 40 years since the Summer of Love and I am sitting here at work listening to Jimi Hendrix singing Foxy Lady on the hospital musac thing. That's pretty freaky!!Who would have thought back in 1967 that I would be listening to that here ! Its almost 4th of July and I think about peace,love and understanding and wonder where all of it has gone in the world !!! Enough seriousness!!!!!
I should have titled this blog "Its Miller Time"! For those of you who have never experienced the invasion of the Miller Moths....They are little creatures who I think are the flying metamorphisis of the Army Cut Worm ( are there any entolmologists out there ??). What nips corn and other plants at ground level in the East and Midwest turn into moths that migrate to the high elevations in the West. You wake up to them buzzing around any light you have left on during the night. No matter how carefully you have closed everything up, they can squeeze through the tiniest cracks !! And when they die, they leave a powdery dust .... HOWEVER! They are one of the finest delicacies of the Grizzly Bear. These little winged inconveniences fly to the tops of the mountains and seek out talus slopes, the shale type, and hide under them. There the bears go and and its like the biggest bear buffet ever ! I have seen tapes of up to 10-12 bears at a "Moth Site" all turning over rocks and scooping up these protein packed morsels. And then in the fall, any moths that haven't been turned into Grizzly Bear fat come back and invade houses again on their way back to turn into Army Cut Worms and devastate the cornfields of Iowa,Illinois, Indiana, Ohio... the "I" states. The East has blackflies and mosquitos but WE have Millers!!! Its Miller Time!

7 comments:

Moody Family said...

As a person that doesn't like millers, but appreciates the fact that they make a good meal for a bear, I have a cure for having them in your house. Take a cake pan, fill it with about 1/2 inch of soapy water and leave it out with a light near it over night. You will be suprised to what you find in the morning. I did this at my in-laws house and I came up with 4 completely full cake pans. Gross but effective. Happy 4th.......

The Breadmaker said...

Thanks Moodys for the tip...they seem to have gone away, hopefully the hot weather has sent them up to Phelps or Franks'Peak or Sylvan Pass!!
PS: You get my vote for most entertaining blog. I check it everyday to see what Jason is up to next....kids are such an adventure.Treasure every moment, it goes by way, way too quickly!!Happy 4th to you all too!

Moody Family said...

We are so glad you like the blog. I have to say it is all due to Jason and of course Maggie and Cody for suggesting it (THANKS). Jason gives us a lot to talk about. Only if I could post everything. Can't wait to share more with you. I hope your millers don't return either. We are excited to see you all the week of the bbq. Talk to you soon.........

petecobb99 said...

jimi on muzak?
millers in cake pans?
i prefer my jimi blasting on the home or truck stereo, and my cake pans full of cake...

amy said...

i'm about to google 'millers and bears' to see if i can find a pic.
i never knew!

gardenboy said...

I'm with the beermaker.......just keep the millers away from my beer.

Moody Family said...

That is a beer I never would like to try.........A little buggy for my liking.